Soup! A dish that most people crave when it is chilly out or when we feel under the weather. This Tomato Basil Soup continues to be a family favorite. This easy Tomato Basil Soup is comfort soup loaded with tomatoes, red, bell pepper, onions (Use an Easy Onion Holder when slicing onions), basil and garlic.
Tomato Basil Soup
- 3 lbs. of Roma (plum) tomatoes
- Fresh Basil (4 cups packed – give or take)
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper
- Olive oil 1/4 c and 2 tbsp.
- 2 cups chopped Yellow Onion
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 28 oz. whole plum tomatoes with juice
- 1 tsp. of Fresh Thyme (1/2 tsp. dried)
- 4 cups Chicken Stock 8 oz. Heavy Whipping Cream
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Wash and slice tomatoes and red bell pepper length wise. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil (~1/4 c) and add salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Toss with hands.
- Place in oven and roast for 45 minutes.
- Grab large Dutch oven or large stock pot. Add 2 tbsp. of butter and 2 tbsp. of olive oil to pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt. Sauté in butter oil mixture until onions are translucent and fragrant.
- Add canned tomatoes (juice and all), roasted tomatoes and red bell pepper, basil, thyme, chicken stock, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Simmer for roughly 40 minutes (lid off).
- Carefully blend ingredients into a smooth consistence. Add heavy cream and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Get your Easy Onion Holder Here